What aspects of anxiety and its management are covered?
The course introduces comprehensive background information regarding the nature, causes and consequences of procedure-related anxiety. The basic and advanced communication techniques utilised in the management of anxiety in children are discussed and illustrated in detail. An integrated approach to the prevention, elective and emergent management of general and procedure related anxiety is presented.
How is the course structured?
The course utilises formal lectures, interactive scenarios, photographic and video illustrations of the techniques used in addition to a question and answer session. Due to popular demand, at the end of the day, we include an optional experiential session that allows you to appreciate hypnotic trance.
Our 1 day course follows the below structure:
0915-1015 The Nature of Anxiety:
- Understanding the nature and origin of anxiety,
- Who gets anxious and why?,
- What influences the prevalence, development and management of anxiety?
- Basic Communication,
- Non-verbal communication,
- Verbal Communication,
- Advanced Communication and techniques,
- Metaphor, Distraction, Guided imagery, Magic, Hypnotherapy, and Technology
1315-1445 Anxiety Management in Practice:
- How our workspace influences anxiety,
- A detailed look at how the 4Ps and 4Ts can influence anxiety,
- Putting it all together – a when, what and why step-by-step guide to managing anxiety
1500-1545 Autistic Spectrum Disorders:
- Developmental Delay
1545-1615 Open Forum and Discussion
1615-1645 Hypnosis and Hypnotherapy:
- What is hypnosis?
- Why are trance theory, covert/conversational hypnosis and suggestion important in the management of anxious children?
1645-1700 Experiential Hypnosis Session